Sunday, September 4, 2011

Catwright and Allen

In Richard Allen's biography, he explains all of his travels of preaching within the eastern part of the United States. Catwright's story was a little different because he was not a preacher, but he went to tent revivals with people that would cry and shout in the name of the Lord.  I learned from Allen's story that slaves were mostly Methodist because slaves couldn't read or write. The slaves couldn't be Episcopal because they didn't understand Latin.  Catwright didn't travel much with religion because he settled in Kentucky where there were no churches and had tent revivals instead.  Allen did not preach in churches at first, but he eventually preached in Philadelphia with other slaves and whites.  At first he preached in the homes of white families in different areas of the country. He traveled by foot, and at one point he ran into good people and they helped him with his sore feet.  It was very hard during that time to find someone like that because slaves were treated very badly during that time!
Both stories were very interesting, because religion was very different during that time. In both stories, they both mentioned the word Methodist Episcopal.  I am still confused as to what it means.  I liked Allen's story better because it did not mention people jumping, crying, and tonguing the name of the Lord, though Catwright thought it was not necessary.  Allen's story to me seemed more dignified.  I think I've always thought of it that way because I was baptized Episcopalian, and I have never done that during a church service.  A friend of mine that is Baptist has told me that people do that because they feel the presence of God.  In my opinion, I would agree with Catwright and say it's not necessary because if I felt the presence of God, I would be happy but I wouldn't make myself look crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment